Racerplanet Network Forums  

Go Back   Racerplanet Network Forums > General Category > Main Forum

Main Forum Forum for general gaming discussions. See the list below for more sub-forums:

Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to jtace
Mass Effect 3 Ending discussion. *SPOILER ALERT!!!*

Don't read this if you don't want any spoilers.

It's been long enough I figure now it's ok to start talking about the ending without spoiling it for most people.

Personally I thought the ending was great up until the last 5-10 minutes. The whole thing with Anderson on the Citidal was right in line with it all. But once it got past that it turned into no matter what you chose it was all the same really.

After the star child thing they just presented more questions then answers. Didn't really feel like there was enough closure about the galaxy and your crew.

The biggest thing that annoys me is they killed off the current way of life in the Mass Effect universe! (mass relays destroyed). Knowing EA and Bioware and any game publisher in general there is no way they're going to end the Mass Effect franchise now. That's fine, but I'm not interested in a prequal or something during the current war, I want a story continuation. I'm fine with Shepards story being over, it's time to move on to a new hero and a new setting with a new story to tell. Right now I have no idea how they're going to do that.

I really hope they have some sort of "story bridge" DLC planned. If they don't want to redo the endings that's ok I guess, but tell me how life goes on at least. What's the bridge to the next ME story?

And one major side effect of the way they ended it and the lack of real choice is they sapped a lot of my motivation to replay it several times. I might do one more, just for the new combat styles, I might not. But no way I'll be interested in replaying it 4+ times.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
The Football Analyst

Send a message via ICQ to Ashwin91 Send a message via MSN to Ashwin91 Send a message via Yahoo to Ashwin91
Very interesting Josh, Alot of people are protesting about the ending. Read the link below. If there is enough of an uproar I suspect there might be a DLC with a different ending option to open up possibilities of a franchise expansion. It would make sense to milk any franchise for all its worth. I was hoping they would make more stories continuing the journeys of someone new and the dawn of a new Era (like what was done on Babylon 5, After the Shadow-War).

Link:
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...173411384.html

Edit:

Okay looks like we can blame EA on this one, Not giving Bioware the time it really needed to sort the game out.
I think they should have got one more year or so to sort the whole game out. I still think they would have got
the fans interested even if people had to wait.
.."The Life Reactive or The Life Proactive"..

Last edited by Ashwin91; 03-20-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Yeah I've been following the protests a bit on the bioware forums. I'm not sure if this is exactly what they wanted from the ending or not. But if they really wanted to end it that way, I might not be the biggest fan, but I can accept that.

In the end I really want to see what's next with the story, where does it go from here? Because currently I'm not seeing anything that makes sense.

If it's over, was the "artistic ending" worth this controversy? There would have been nothing like this backlash if it was the usual ME ending's style from ME1 and ME2.

All in all ME3 was great, loved the story. Just was left wanting a bit more from the end. Intentional, obviously.. but why?

Anyways.. what did you guys think?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:38 AM
The Football Analyst

Send a message via ICQ to Ashwin91 Send a message via MSN to Ashwin91 Send a message via Yahoo to Ashwin91
Yes, Agree. It should continue, Because technically the story never ends in any endeavour. Like we live our lives now and those of the past did . They should not end the continuity of the story as that is not logical when history of anything or incident proves otherwise. I hope they see that part as folly.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:40 AM
The Football Analyst

Hey Josh,

I got some news. No ending change but they will be releasing new material. It looks like they did not anticipate the uproar the ending would go on to create.

They are stating their position to not change the ending was to preserve the artistic value. In my opinion this is not the case, It looks to me its not economically viable for them to film and create new material for reasonably "small" group. As the cost would be on them and the consumer to buy the new endings, Either way its looks like economic sense ruled it in the end. A shame for us of course. It also does hint at a lack of foresight in my view. They already built up a franchise that at its centre a player has a chance to alter his or her path in the game and the story's arc. Either way, It would have been wise to create atleast more varied endings.

Maybe they might add more in the novels instead with an alternate ending or even alternate version like they do for the Transformers franchise.

Link:
http://asia.gamespot.com/news/free-m...summer-6370106
Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Yeah I saw the "extended cut" DLC they're going to do. Have to see what it ends up being.

I really never expected anything more then that, it's near impossible to get a corporation to admit they were wrong, let a lone gaming companies to the public. Hopefully it'll give a bit of an idea on what the true state of the galaxy is after everything is all over for Shepard.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 PM
The Football Analyst

Hey Josh,

I got more news recently not sure if you have seen it.

http://asia.gamespot.com/news/mass-e...ys-bbb-6371157

Looks like BioWare have lost the PR battle it seems.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

After the ending I've basically lost every bit of interest in the whole universe, quite a drop since ME1 was the very reason I bought an Xbox 360 in the first place, buying it before the game even came out, and pre-ordered ell the others (including a PC-version of ME1).

The ending just ruined it. They said: Your actions will have strong impact, it didn't, it's the same ending no matter what! You don't even see quarians, Rachni etc. in the fighting sequences, just humans.

What the heck was that kid? An AI? A god? Is there more than one? Why did it/they let Shepard chose what to do?

How come Joker and my crew-mates before the beam hit were now in mass-effect travel when the wave hit???

With all relays destroyed, and billions and billions of lives in the Sol-system (our star system) and Earth ruined, all die anyway because there's no food for all! what kind of ending is that???

Pigs will fly, hell will freeze over, Black Box will make a good NFS game, before EA will make an ending that can satisfy/explain this.

I've played many other BioWare games, also before the EA takeover/sellout, they CAN write a great story, I don't believe for a second that EA or other bad things didn't influence the ending of ME3 from the direction it was originally going to take.

Frank
Old 06-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Administrator

I think you summed up many of my thoughts as well Frank. I will at least give the upcoming ending update a shot at least, but it's hard to really expect much.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM
The Football Analyst

Yep Frank, That's exactly the issue you have listed. I noticed alot of people even on Gamespot's Editor's saying "WTF" about the kid and the ending making very little sense of the consequences. Or put it this way, The ending lacks explaining the consequences.

So do you guys think EA actually shifted the story to something the Company wanted? And not staying true to the source material?
Old 06-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Either that or BioWare required more time to write, finish and/or produce the ending they wanted and EA gave them a deadline that couldn't be moved so they had to do something else. Or the writer(s) just ran out of steam, either way, I'm severely disapointed and the whole game has permanently lost value for me. Of course it could also be that it reminds me of my real life: No matter what you try, you'll always fail (long sad story, no need to go into details about it).

Frank
Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Administrator

I think it's a couple things, which did more or less I don't know.

1) Deadlines, EA I'm sure had a hard date they had to have the game done by and that always effects things.

2) They screwed up, Bioware or the lead people in charge of the story got out of touch with their fans and just plain screwed it up.

3) story leaked, I didn't read it to see, but I know the story had leaked early, I wonder how much extra work was done to change things around after that?

I'm sure it's some combination of all 3, and maybe even something else we don't realize.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 AM
The Football Analyst

Hmmm, Good points Josh. I don't think I am aware of point 3) Story leaked?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Yeah there was an early demo that leaked way early on xbox or something I think and there were transcripts of the story in it I think? I remember it happening but I didn't dig too much to see what it was about, didn't want to ruin the story. Talk about ironic.
Sponsored Links