Racerplanet Network Forums  

Go Back   Racerplanet Network Forums > Mixed topics forums > Vehicles talk

Vehicles talk Formerly Shop Talk forum. You can still drool over the dream car, or ask for help and advice, but now covers all vehicles - cars, planes, trains, etc.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Ferrari F2003 GA test - amazing

So, you've got your F40 or F50 or Enzo, and you think, I'm top of the heap in Ferrari customers. Then someone comes along with an FXX or 599XX and is the new special customer...

There is another level of customer, an even more special client - F1 Clienti:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96C0FUTNnCQ

This video shows a customer doing a shakedown run in the Ferrari F2003-GA, the 2003 model Ferrari with the designation GA as a tribute to the late FIAT boss who died.

Interesting to see the video how they go about starting the car. Getting the driver in, putting the safety devices over the driver and the general level of support this kind of customer gets.

But the best bit is when they start it. Oh wow, that is just music to my ears. The sweet noise of a finely tuned 3.0L V10 Formula 1 engine. So sweet. And the power you can see is there, immediately.

And thank goodness for the driver these cars have the anti-stall devices on them, sounds like they did the job a few times when he tried to get away from the pit lane.

Ferrari does de-tune these cars a bit to get more engine life out of them, but when it did race, the specs were:

Typo 052 V10, 3.0L
930hp@19,000rpm
605kg (including driver, water and lubricant)
7 speed sequential

Pretty insane power to weight ratio on a car designed to take all that power and put it to the ground effectively. You realise quickly why these final V10 F1 cars were the fastest ever. Reading into the history, it seems that it also has the seamless shift technology in the transmission that is now common place.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Moderator of Puppets

Interesting that they were running Bridgestone slicks... I wonder if those were leftover 2009 spec F1 tires or tires from another racing series?

Bill Hicks
Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Administrator

I wonder if Ferrari has Bridgestone continue building these tyres - perhaps as a standard spec for all the customers in cars that can suitably use them. In fact, yes, I see your point now. I'd forgotten that back in the day of the F2003GA, they did use grooved tyres.

Here is the 640:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHqu-...eature=related

You'll see the F2003GA in the video above go screaming past like a bullet. The old 640 is having transmission troubles. According to a comment on the video, it's something to do with the modern electronics Ferrari have added not communicating properly with the old sequential gearbox.
Sponsored Links