Racerplanet Network Forums  

Go Back   Racerplanet Network Forums > General Category > Flight Simulators

Flight Simulators Forum for Flight Simulator related discussion, Microsoft FS2004, etc.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Ultra Moderator & Co-Founder

Send a message via Yahoo to Commander
Best Helipcopter sim?

Hey folks, I seldom pop my head in here, but since I am looking for a good helo sim, I thought this would be the best place to ask. So I shall do just that! What would you say is the best current helicopter sim? I don't mean semi-sim wartime flights where the main objective is to shoot somerhing, just good old flying a helo, landing it, picking stuff up, etc. Naturally, it needs to be decent graphically. I was going to try out "Take on Helicopters", since that is the best I seem to have found so far... Any thoughts on that? All suggestions are welcome, so please, let 'em fly (no pun intended).

TJ

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Administrator

I would have suggested Flight Simulator X with a commercial payware helicopter addon.

But since bootcamp is no longer running properly on my Mac, I cannot run FSX, since Windows won't boot natively. It only runs through VMWare and that's no use.

I miss Flight Sim.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_Spd
This may seem off track at first but it really isn't, alot of flight sim fans like the Realflight series, its actually an RC(radio control) flight simulator where you fly models of RC planes and helos, probably up to V6 by now, and it is a very accurate representation of flying RC models and it is recommended by any hobby shop that a person learns to fly on Realflight before attempting to fly an expensive rc model.

It's sold at most hobby shops and comes with a controller that looks and works like a real rc controller, it is a bit more $$ than other simulators, but a person can easily move on to actual rc models afterwards, and btw ...NO... cheaper rc helos Do Not teach a person very much at all and they dont remain cheap for very long. Realflight is a great way to learn RC, and it's also happens to appeal to flight simulator fans.

the_Demolition_Crew
S.N.R._rFactor
Old 09-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

I recently restarted looking at FSX and saw on Avsim or flightsim.com someone asking about the most authentic helicopter add-on, the answer was the Dodo Sim Bell 206 without contest.

I know some real-life commercial helicopter pilots, one of them is the older of the two Strasser brothers that makes the Chicken Wings webcomic, and he can fly with a long-line dropping fire-retardent on wild-land fires and placing big AC units on high-rises but he can't keep an RC plane in the air for more than 5 seconds. I'm not sure any of them has tried a flightsim helicopter though.

Frank

P.S. I know this is a real helicopter and not a simulation but I thought this was too cool not to share, and yes that's the Royal Danish Air Force and a very fast catamaran ferry. Put it on full resolution and go full-screen to fully enjoy it, and especially see at the end how close they get. When I showed this to my pilot friends they said it was obvious it wasn't an RAF crew since they didn't moon the ferry. Note: The other helicopter pilot who said that is ex-RAF btw, although then he was in the backseat of a Nimrod.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eri8_rc4jqE
Sponsored Links